Mark and I decided to take the kids on a day trip to New Orleans. This was the first time either of us had been to New Orleans since Katrina and I wasn't sure what to expect. It was amazing to see the damage that has yet to be fixed. I found myself looking for signs of Katrina on every building and wondering just where exactly the water came to. It is amazing how a storm like that will change your thought process. For instance, we went under an overpass and there were tents set up everywhere. Molly, bless her heart, thought that people were just camping. Cole was quick to inform her that homeless people live there. Immediately, my mind was racing with thoughts of what would these homeless people do if another storm comes? Would they even hear about it? Would they evacuate...somehow? Would they seek refuge in a shelter? OR Would they be another victim like so many others in Katrina. Before Katrina, I would have taken these homeless people as part of the New Orleans culture or any big city culture for that matter. My thoughts would have been as they always are when I see a homeless person and my heart would have broken at the thought that each one of them is some one's child...they all have a mother somewhere.
All that aside and on a lighter note...we had a great time! We took the kids to the zoo and the aquarium while we were there. The zoo was HOT. Most of the animals were sleeping in the shade. My favorite part was the sea lion exhibit. I guess I was longing to swim in a clear blue pool too! After the zoo, it was on to the aquarium. The kids really enjoyed this! Cole liked seeing the jellyfish and reminding us...multiple times...that he was stung by one at the beach. Spencer fell in love with sea turtles and ended up bringing a HUGE stuffed sea turtle home. Molly was so proud that she was able to pet a stingray and a shark. It was a nice day. I wonder what our next road trip will be......



1 comment:
Love all the curls!!! -Angie
Post a Comment